GIS Data and Map News: KYF2 Compass Map, U.S. Census Bureau 2010 Urbanized Areas, AddressBase Compatible Business Names Database
Share This Article:
With the tagline, “Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food Compass Map”, the US Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) has released the KYF2 Compass Map. The interactive web map uses Esri’s geographic information system (GIS) technology and web map services designed and developed by VSolvit LLC and is is deployed using Esri Managed Services. Future plans include updating and adding new datasets and offering dynamic map views and map services. As the map evolves, it will ultimately benefit farmers, educators, businesses, and other organizations by aggregating many sources of data about local and regional food supply chains. Part of the USDA mission is to help build a national dialog about local food systems. To promote this dialog, Esri supports the Twitter campaign around the Compass and encourages those Twitter users involved with local food projects to include the hashtag #KYF2 when referring to the KYF2 initiative and talking about the KYF Compass and map.
The Census Bureau has announced the list of urbanized areas and urban clusters defined on the basis of the 2010 Census. The official announcement occurred via the Federal Register, with the notice providing lists of urbanized areas and urban clusters and their respective 2010 Census populations. The notice is available for public viewing at http://www.ofr.gov/OFRUpload/OFRData/2012-06903_PI.pdf.
In conjunction with the announcement, the Census Bureau’s Geography Division released the following items:
- Lists of urbanized areas and urban clusters with 2010 population, land area, and population density;
- Urbanized area/urban cluster TIGER/Line shapefiles
- Updated 2010 census block shapefiles with urban/rural flag and urban area code
- Files providing relationships between urbanized areas/urban clusters and counties, places, county subdivisions, ZCTAs, and metro/micro areas;
- A 2010 urban area to 2000 urban area relationship file;
- Census 2000 to 2010 Census population and land area change for urbanized areas
- Urban/rural population by state
- Urban/rural population by county
- Thematic maps:
- Distribution of urbanized areas and urban clusters
- New urbanized areas
- Percentage of population that is urban by county
- Percentage of population in urbanized areas by county
- Ten most populous urbanized areas
These items and other information about the Census Bureau urban-rural classification and urban area delineations can be found on the Census Bureau’s website at http://www.census.gov/geo/www/ua/2010urbanruralclass.html.
Aligned Assets have made a database of all UK businesses available to local authorities and the emergency services. With the database matched to the Ordnance Survey’s AddressBase Premium, as well as being the most up to date source of business names data currently available in the UK, it will contain UPRNs (unique property reference numbers) and be easily compatible with existing sources of public sector address data.